Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Spoon Theory....No The Knife Differential Is Not Coming Later

[Please click on the highlighted "Spoon Theory" and read it in it's entirety to completely understand it]

Recently I was introduced to The Spoon Theory. It's a very interesting Theory and those who can relate to it call themselves Spoonies. Personally, I can relate to it in that, I have to think "how tired will [insert activity here] make me?" "If I do [insert activity here] will I be able to [insert a different activity here] later?" and so on and so forth. That's something, I think, people who do not have an illness of any kind, stop and think about. Showers, cooking, eating, getting up and down out of chairs is exhausting--but it's a fact of life. It's something that's shaped and molded me into the person that I am today and, while I am tired, in a way, I think I am a stronger person for it.

I grew up an athlete and dancer. I started dancing when I was two, doing tap and ballet at the YMCA--so use your imagination about how good I was. And then I moved over to Freddie Finn Dance Studio. When I was 8 years old I started playing softball and soccer, two sports I played well into my teenage years. Softball, though, was something I excelled at; however, dancing is what I miss. Some time in middle school I did BMX bicycle racing...for about five minutes. I've done it all. So, I like to do things. I like to hike, I like to 4x4, I like to swim, but with Gastroparesis...mmm...I have to be calculating. I've done Zumba as a Gastroparesis patient--shook my groove-thing like every other lady in that dance room, but then it became too much...a spoon, you see. I used to go walking around the block--a COUNTRY bloc--in my neighborhood, but then it became too much...a spoon, you see.

I'm stubborn though, there are just some things that I will not give up even though they tire me out--interpreting for the Deaf, going to the park with friends and family, camping, hiking, exploring, working, playing. There are some parts of me that I am just not willing to give up. It'll cost me sleep. It'll cost me what little food I eat. It'll mean some physical pain. But it meant that I got to do fun stuff and I life doing fun stuff...I'm actually quite insane--at least in my own mind!

There really are people out there who have to be more frugal about their activities and I get that--I'm a lucky one. Please continue to have fun with me! I still like to laugh. I still like to goof off. I'm still Christine who will poke fun at you if you do something silly, trust me, I just get a little tired every once and a while. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment