Thursday, September 4, 2014

My New Best Buddy--Alfred

In my last post, which was my first post, I mentioned that I have a new best buddy and that his name is Alfred. He's just a tiny little guy, only about 2 inches big and he's made out of surgical steel. You see, Alfred is my new Gastric Neurostimulator. On August 18, 2014 I had him surgically implanted into my stomach to helpfully elevate some of my Gastroparesis symptoms. Now, I know what you're thinking: "Christine, on your first post you said that you were doing good and you were back to work! Pump the brakes! Now you have a what?!" Let me explain myself...

When I went back to work in 2011, I was doing pretty good. I was managing my symptoms pretty well and maintaining weight. I was enjoying being back to work with my kiddos, being able to exercise regularly (no marathon running, just palates and things I'd find on Pinterest), and eating my fair share of food. As time went on, I was discovering that I was having to eliminate foods from my diet because they seemed to be too heavy. First it was the granola from my granola, yogurt, and blueberries in the morning. Then it was the blueberries. Next it was the yogurt. In the afternoons I was eventually finding myself cutting out the lunch meat I was eating (I don't eat bread). 

By late last year I was not keeping much of anything down and not hungry anyhow. I saw my neurologist and the first words out of his mouth were "you've lost too much weight!" I got in to see the nurse practitioner in the gastroenterology department (GI) and she put me on a medication that she said was "really, the last thing, medicine wise, we can give you". It only made me sicker. I FINALLY got in to see my doctor and we discussed the fact that I have failed medications and the botox (remember, it's not all it's cracked up to be, ladies!), so he figured that I would be a good candidate for the pacemaker. All that stood in my way was having another, but longer version, of the gastric emptying test.

I got scheduled for the gastric emptying test (you eat a sandwich with radioactive dye in it and then have x-rays for either 2 or 4 hours [in increments]) and had it within a week. Let me tell you, that sandwich felt like lead in my belly! The results came back that I have "significant gastroparesis". BAM! Two weeks later I'm in seeing the surgeon after keeping a "diary" of my symptoms for him. He said "on paper, you're a perfect candidate for it, but I don't want you to rush into this. It's a big decision to make because you have to live with this thing for the rest of your life!" (See, I couldn't just call Alfred a "thing" or "it" or "the device" for the rest of my life!!) I saw him on a Friday and I called him on Wednesday saying "I'm in!". Honestly, from the moment my GI doctor said that I might be a candidate, I started researching the Gastric Neurostimulator--half the battle is in spelling the name right!! (That was humor, people!) I knew there was a 50% chance that my symptoms might not be relieved, that the leads might poke through to places that they aren't supposed to go, that the pack might malfunction and stop working or shock too much. Then there's just the general surgical risks, so I knew what I was getting into, but to even TRY and be relieved of the 24/7 feeling of being nausea...I was willing to give it a try!

On August 18, 2014 I went in and Alfred was put in! I spent 3 days in the hospital with a roommate who had the same exact procedure done! I deal with low blood pressure issues--I entertained everyone with a BP of 88/45 when I arrived in the room--so I wasn't allowed out of bed the first day, yay me! I have to say, the pain...is pain...but it's manageable. I DO NOT recommend coughing or sneezing or laughing. I kept my entertainment to the back of my eyelids or the Cooking Channel (ironic, right?). I see my surgeon on September 10th for a check-up to see how things are looking, but so far, so good! Am I 100%? Nope...but there is a year of adjustments ahead of me!


Here's what Alfred looks like!



This is what I looked like BEFORE Gastroparesis entered my life.
Here I am interpreting for the Deaf the night before Alfred was implanted!


1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I too have gastroparesis. What hospital/surgeon implanted Alfred?
    Thanks,
    Jennifer j_wbee123@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete