Saturday, September 20, 2014

Gastroparesis Diet—You Have Got to be Joking Me!!

[I am NOT an expert nor a doctor, so please consult with a professional in regards to your nutritional intake. This is merely my personal experience]

Don't let the title fool you, one of the most important and first steps of combating the symptoms of Gastroparesis is changing your diet. You're often guided toward the Gastroparesis Diet and encouraged to limit your intake of fatty and fibrous foods because a gastric system with motility issues cannot process these types of foods any longer. Bye bye fruits and veggies (for the most part) unless they have met the spinning fate of a blender. Goodbye creamy, cold goodness that is ice cream. Goodbye cookies...Wait, what?! Yes, no more milk and cookies. It's a very sad day! But here's the thing, with Gastroparesis, you kind of learn along the way, that things like fruits and vegetables, are really big no-nos. You find out along the way what is “safe” and what is “unsafe” and what is “safe” one day can become “unsafe” REALLY quick.

When I was handed the Gastroparesis Diet, I laughed in the doctor's face. Like, outright LAUGHED. The shear amount of food recommended that I eat at each meal was laughable to me and some of the items too! I told him that I wouldn't be able to do it, but that I would try, and I did, but it was a complete failure for me.

Here is an example of a Gastroparesis Diet Menu you may receive:
SampleMeal Plan for 6 Small Meals
Breakfast 
1 cup cream of wheat cereal
½ cup skim milk
½ cup grape juice
1 scrambled egg
Snack 
10 ounces of instant breakfast with skim milk
Lunch 
½ cup vegetable soup
½ turkey sandwich
½ cup applesauce
½ cup milk
1 tablespoon mayonnaise

Snack 
10 ounces banana shake made with l plain or vanilla yogurt, milk and sugar
Dinner
 2-3 ounces baked chicken or fish
½ cup mashed potatoes
1 teaspoon margarine
½ cup spinach
½ cup milk
½ cup fruit cocktail
Snack
 ½ cup pudding, custard or gelatin

Everyone is different, however, so please do try this and see what works for you. Personally, I just began systematically eliminating things from my diet, starting with the things suggested in the Gastroparesis Diet plan, like vegetables and fruits (BIG bummer for me). However, eating the amount of food in the above meal plan was absolutely out of the question for me. Drinking an Ensure or a Boost to the bottom of the can was a feat, so eating all of that food up there was preposterous to me and STILL is to this day! Even while I was in the hospital recovering from getting Alfred (my Gastric Neurostimulator) implanted, they were trying to feed me heaping piles of pasta and broccoli and a cup of fresh fruit—somebody was really on the ball that day! And then I was, once again, given the Gastroparesis Diet Menu (just in case I wasn't aware of it).

I eventually settled myself (the best I could, anyway) on a protein and supplemental plan called JuicePlus earlier this year. It helped my hair get healthier, which I'm really happy about, and my nails to grow a little stronger. Some people swear by Boost or Ensure or Atkins protein shakes to help fill in where they're lacking in actual food intake. My suggestion is, find one that you like the taste of, that has proper nutrients and that you can afford. I get the chocolate JuicePlus powder and was, originally, mixing it with chocolate almond milk. But, remember how I said a “safe” food can suddenly become “unsafe”? Well, I wouldn't say that my shake is “unsafe”, but my stomach has decided that having it be all milk was just too much, so now I do 50% water and 50% milk. Seems to be working alright, so far. If you're interested in learning more about JuicePlus or want to get hooked up with a representative, I can give you my lady's name. She's a doll!

My parting advice would be: Find out works for you. Gastroparesis Diet, FODMAP, JuicePlus, Boost, Ensure, Atkins, mish-mosh of everything...whatever. The important thing is to stay nourished and hydrated—the best us GPers can!

No comments:

Post a Comment