Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Faith and Gastroparesis

I am, unabashedly, a Christian. My faith plays a large part in who I am as person and how I conduct myself on a day-to-day basis. Therefore, I think it makes sense that my faith plays a large part in my life with Gastroparesis as well. Every day I have to trust that God will get me through the day...through the flare...through the migraine...through the vertigo episode...you get the idea. Every day I have to KNOW that God has a reason for me living with Gastroparesis. I don't have to UNDERSTAND, I just have to have faith.

In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which perishes, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.”-1 Peter 1:6-7. My trial, my perseverance through this time of my life, could be the very thing that someone needs to know that there is a God. The Lord gives me strength to make it through every day. I thank Him for my family and friends. For the job that I have. For the church that I attend and serve at. He sustains me. He is there. Through the happy...through the sad...through the mundane...through the painful...through everything.

During my journey with Gastroparesis, I don't seek to have praise for myself because I am human that makes mistakes, that fails, that will crumble under pressure. God, however, is faithful and deserving of all the praise because it is through Him that I am able to smile through it all. It is because of Him that I am able to laugh through the life that is Gastroparesis.

If you struggle with faith in God, please reach out to me. If you struggle with the idea that there is joy in pain, please know that there is. I'd like to suggest the book “Hope for Hurting Hearts” by Greg Laurie, as well as checking out the trailer for the movie by the same name.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.” -James 1:2-4, 12



No comments:

Post a Comment