Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Saying Goodbye to 2014...Hello 2015!

I'm not really a New Year's Resolution kind of gal. I mean, I've made the usual ones in the past of “I'm going to eat better this year” and “I'm going to join the gym this year and get healthier”, but I inevitably break the resolution, like most everyone else, within a few weeks and I'm back to eating junk food and not going to the gym. After so many years of breaking my resolutions, I stopped making them, what's the point, you know, if I'm just going to break them anyway. I don't like being an Indian Giver or a Promise Breaker or whatever it is you might want to call it.

Now my life has been drastically changed from those New Years Resolution Days because what I would love to change cannot be Resolutioned away, it is just a fact of life that I have to accept and that is alright. It is not pleasant, but that, too, is something that I cannot change. When you're chronically ill with a disease that nobody understands and you don't look sick, your tendency is to either: a) wallow, b) lash out, or c) disengage. All three are not healthy options, nor very helpful to those around the ill person.

What I CAN change is how I handle myself, my perspective on my situation, and how I treat others during my bad days. I can let people in on how it feels to be in my shoes. I can spread awareness about Gastroparesis—without being pushy or obnoxious about it. I can remind myself that, while I am living a life that I never would have planned for myself, I AM alive. I need to smile and cheer during my victories, no matter how small they might be. And regroup after any setbacks.


So, I guess, in a sense, I DO have a New Years Resolution. It's not your typical, mainstream resolution, but it is one just the same. I resolve to be kinder on my bad days (flare days), be a better advocate for myself and other gastroparesis sufferers, and not hide what it is that I'm going through—something that I have a tendency to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment