Friday, December 26, 2014

Merry Christmas and Alfred Had Another Check-Up

Christmas was difficult for me this year, which sucks because I LOVE Christmas. I love Christmas for the music, the decorations, the weather, and the fact that we're celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. And I am a giver. I love giving people gifts. I love making things. But this year, I REALLY struggled with that due to visits to urgent care and the ER. My mom had to wrap presents for me this year because I just couldn't do it...and it tore me up. 

Christmas Eve I strapped on my happy face and interpreted for the Deaf at church, something I haven't been able to do in a while. My brother, Dustin and his girlfriend Amanda came and picked me up because I hadn't slept in almost a week at that point. Interpreting was exhausting, but fun to do. It was then off to my Aunt's with my family and some good friends to play games and eat and open presents. I think everyone had a really good time. I always enjoy Christmas Eve. 
Christmas was laid back. Spent, as usual, opening presents in the living room and then having our usual breakfast of biscuits and gravy and scrambled eggs. Sadly, I still hadn't slept nor did my breakfast sit well, so while the rest of my family went off to my uncle's house, I stand behind and tried to rest. It stinks that I missed out, but I think it was best for me. I was pretty weak. 

Today (December 26, 2014) I had an appointment with my surgeon, Dr. Marujjo. We addressed my ER visit and he suggested ditching the miralax and stick with taking dulcolax daily since it seems the miralax hasn't done anything much--if you catch my drift ::nudge nudge wink wink::  He also suggested drinking prune juice--OHMYGOSH--and going on a walk for half an hour. After that, Dr. Marujjo began the process of putting Alfred up a step. Again, it seems Alfred had, all by himself, reset himself or gone to default settings. He didn't seem too concerned about it, so with the help of his new senior resident, he changed the settings and that was it. We asked about putting into my chart that I may need help from time-to-time because I've been having trouble as of late but he said he doesn't really see me as a person who is bad off enough to need a parent on FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act). We told him about my not sleeping in a week and he asked me why and I told him that I had NO clue as to why, but he seemed nonplussed by it. With a reminder to use dulcolax, prune juice, and to walk he sent us on our way. 

Some seem to think that my lifestyle won't have to change much with Alfred in me, but my lifestyle has already been dramatically changed. Of course I have SOME limitations with the gastric neurostimulator, but nothing MAJORLY drastic, but it's the Gastroparesis that has changed my life forever. I think a lot of people have forgotten that since I live my life as normally as I possibly can. Let's be honest, my life has forever been changed because of this disease. 

Despite the uncooperativeness of my health, I still had a good Christmas. I spent it with people that I love and got WAY more than I could have possibly imagined--I got a zebra onesie! 
And guess what?! My next appointment is the day after my birthday! It seems like some sort of trend! Anyway, MERRY CHRISTMAS!









No comments:

Post a Comment