Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Donut Mistake


Well, I did it, I ate a donut like any normal person would for Teacher's Appreciation Week/Day would...except, I'm not any normal person. I keep forgetting that. You would think that, after having Gastroparesis for five years and having countless tests and procedures, being poked and prodded countless number of times, diagnosed and misdiagnosed and diagnosed again, that I would remember "Hey, eating that chocolatey, doughy round thing is going to send you into a tailspin of despair for X amount of time." 

Nope! I ate that sucker anyway. And I ENJOYED it!



Since eating said donut I have been in a gastroparetic flare for a week. I have had such a difficult time consuming liquids, let alone food. My stomach has been painful to the touch, movement, and just sitting there. I have requested from family and friends alike for an -ectomy of my whole trunk, but they won't oblige--so rude. A pox be upon you donut world, this is your fault!!

...ok, maybe it's more MY fault for giving in to temptation, but I was frustrated that day and chocolatey goodness is my weakness...



Here's the thing with Gastroparesis:: there are varying degrees of it. There are certain things that I can eat that Sally can't. There are certain things that Sally can eat, that I can't. There are certain things that NEITHER of us can/should eat.  Therefore, Sally might be able to handle bread products; whereas (CLEARLY) I cannot. So, if you see me reaching for that chocolate donut again in a moment of weakness, slap me...HARD

I attempted onion rings today. That was a big mistake as well. Again, if you see me reaching for those friend rings of yumminess, slap my hand and scream "NO!" It'll only benefit me in the long run. Like the donut, the onion rings are not sitting well and I'm feeling quite sick. Maybe the disease is progressing more? Maybe I'm finding I have more intolerances? Maybe they've always been there and I've just turned a blind eye, who knows. Just remember to tell me "NO, Christine!" when you see me reaching for those kinds of things. 

Triggering foods stink! They make you feel miserable, they make your friends feel miserable for you, they make life in general miserable, so it's best to just avoid them. 

Goodbye, donuts. 




No comments:

Post a Comment