Friday, May 22, 2015

The Girl With Gastroparesis and the Emergency Room


Making the decision to go to the ER is a difficult one for someone with a chronic illness. You already know that there's not going to be much that the doctor's can do for you, but, at the same time, you want someone to help you. 

That was the case with me last night. 

But being in as much pain as I was in, I just couldn't bare it any more...so in I went. I had my blankie, my hoodie, everything I needed to be as comfortable as possible in that cold environment. 

When the doctor came in he said he had looked over my chart and said that my last gastric emptying study had been "iffy", whatever that means. Whenever the doctors bring up the study they each say something different. This time it was "iffy". I wish they would come to a consensus about it. The he asked me what was going on and for how long. When I explained I had been in indescribable pain for several days he said "the ER is not for chronic conditions it's for when your stomach is bursting open."

Thanks, Doc. 

He also said "I don't care if you're a cop, a doctor, a priest, or Mother Teresa, do you use marajuana, cocaine, or meth?"...uh, no. I've never been asked that before, so that was an odd and interesting interaction. 

He, like most others--until they meet me--have never heard of the GASTRIC pacemaker, so I schooled him on the Gastric Pacemaker and it's purpose. His ears perked up then and he became fairly interested in what was going on then

He did some tests...blood, an x-ray...gave me some medicine and when it all came back normal--as usual--he sent me on my way home.

Just once I would like for a doctor in the ER or urgent care to act like they give two rips about me even though I'm a chronically ill patient. We see SO many doctors and have SO many tests and SO many procedures, why on EARTH would we want to go to the emergency room unless we have to??! A little dignity and respect would be awesome to experience when going in rather than being lectured. 




No comments:

Post a Comment