Tuesday, November 4, 2014

A Nation Divided Over A Decision

There has been much talk, discussion, opinion, and controversy in regards to Brittany Maynard and her decision to end her life with Oregon's Death With Dignity Law because she had a terminal brain tumor. I do not know what it's like to have cancer, let alone a brain tumor, so I cannot speak or even fathom what it's like to be in that position. I can, however, speak on having a chronic illness that takes away your life, your dignity (at times), your dreams, and so much more. Gastroparesis leaves so many uncertainties in life...will this "meal" stay down?...will I even be able to eat today?...Is this the day I vomit so much I end up in the hospital?...Will they ever find a cure?...A treatment?...Is my gastric Neurostimulator going to work?...When will this/Is this going to kill me?

My understanding of Brittany Maynard's decision is that she wanted to choose when she died and she wanted it to be with dignity. While I can empathize with this sentiment, one truly needs to stop and think about what the Lord has mapped out for us. "Man's days are determined; You (God) have decreed the number of his months and have set limits he cannot exceed." (Job 14:5) God has the number of our days predetermined and by deciding that we want to end it before that predetermined time is to mess with His plan for us. Can we not see that a change, a miracle, a blessing could happen in the time between when someone decides to end their own life and when He has already decided to take someone? 

I recently watched an interview with a British actor who was in the Harry Potter movies and he talked about how he was supposed to have died 18 years ago from leukemia. Did you catch that? SUPPOSED to have died! If he had partken in something like the Death With Dignity Law or something along those lines, we would have missed out on all of the great works he's done in the last 18 years! Not to mention the 18 years he's gotten to spend with his family! 

Gastroparesis is not Cancer and I'm not going to pretend that it is. Gastroparesis is, however, unpredictable--one day you're fine and happy, the next you're sick and in bed; undignified--I  can hash and rehash how I've vomited on the side of the road, in allies, in buckets, and various public restrooms of ALL kinds; life altering--I can no longer eat most vegetables, fruits, go out late with friends because I am too tired;  and often terminal. There are very few treatments and no cure. Most of what is offered to someone with Gastroparesis is to manage symptoms or a "humane device". There is no propriety when it comes to Gastroparesis. I do not know what the future holds for me...malnutrition...dehydration...starvation...I don't know, but I'm sure it's not going to be pleasant. But I'm leaving it up to God. He holds my future. There is time for a miracle. There is time for me to bless those around me. There is time for me to make a difference. 

I'm not judging Brittany Maynard. We live in a free county to do as we please. I am not besmirching her name or trying to cause her family grief, I pray they find peace. I just pray that people who are fighting a similar battle as Brittany or myself will continue to fight. Nobody wants Cancer at 9...29...69. Cancer stinks! So does Gastroparesis! So fight on GPsisters! Fight on!

No comments:

Post a Comment