Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Alfred Lost A Little Of His Pep!!

Alfred and I have been together (tomorrow) for three months. Alfred being my gastric neurostimulator. The big hope is that he'll block the signal to my brain that I'm nauseous, which will then (hopefully) make me not throw up as much. Well, nothing is a perfect science, right?

I went to see my surgeon (and his intern) on Friday (November 14) because I'd been having returning symptoms...severe nausea...vomiting up almost everything. So my surgeon (and his intern) put this little gizmo on my tummy over the top of Alfred attached to how whizbang machine. As it turned out some of the settings had dropped all on their own! They prattled off numbers--it's all Greek to me--and setting calculations to each other and jotted stuff down. With a few pushes of the buttons on the whizbang machine, my surgeon (and his intern) put me up a step. 

Hopefully Alfred won't continue losing his pep. This is just proof positive that science is not perfect. It's also proof that things take time with this dreaded disease called gastroparesis. I've been told that it can take a year to a year and a half to (hopefully) get Alfred to where he needs to be. If he turns out to be a dud...who knows what the future holds for me. 

Even with Alfred's aid I struggle to maintain my weight (I never thought I would be happy about GAINING weight in my life!), struggle to eat, and struggle to stay hydrated (I have no idea what my labs are). But you know what? I am alive! And I am a fighter!



No comments:

Post a Comment