Monday, October 20, 2014

The Impact of Social Media

Social media definitely has it's perks--it has its drawbacks too, but for the purpose of this blog, we'll keep it positive. Facebook, Instagram, Blogger, Tumblr, Vine, and other websites allow you to connect with others who are experiencing many of the same things that you are. 

On Facebook you can follow pages or people that pertain to your interests, causes, diseases, etc and learn more about them; meet like-minded people, join in discussions, add your two cents, or have a mini-complain fest. 

On Instagram you get to post pictures chronicling your daily life or inspirational quotes complete with hashtags galore. You can follow people or pages that interest you, whether it be hobbies, illnesses, causes, bands, etc. Think a pictorial blog in mini form. 

With a website like Blogger (or Wordpress) a person--like myself--is able to post their thoughts, experiences, and such on a subject in a website form that anyone can find if they search for it. Making a blog, generally, allows a person to put out information on a subject to create awareness. That is my goal here at Diary of A Gastroparesis Warrior. I want to create awareness for, not only Gastroparesis, but chronic illnesses that I love with in general. 

Personally, I find a lot of comradie through social media that I may not necessarily experience in my day-to-day life. Who do I know in my personal life that has Gastroparesis? Nobody, really. I have met and been befriended by several people who are experiencing the same illness(es) as myself. We can share stories, experiences, and struggles with one another. We can also encourage one another during hard times, cheer during the good times, and laugh during the funny times because we understand what it truly feels like. I know that I can ask questions regarding my gastric neurostimulator--Alfred--and people will share their experience with me and I will do the same. It's nice knowing that I have people that I can go to who have sailed in the same boat. Without social media, I don't think I'd have that. 

Does that mean I won't share or talk to someone who doesn't have Gastroparesis? Absolutely not! I'll talk to anyone who asks me questions! I am an open book to anyone that asks, but YOU have to be the one to ask. 

If you're looking for pages to follow on Facebook, I suggest G-PACT. They post inspirational quotes and pictures from time-to-time, but the majority of their posts are informative and beneficiary blog-style posts. On Instagram I suggest the accounts fightforcat, counting_spoons, ju_spoonie, inspirationalstories_, and searching the hashtags Gastroparesis, chronicillness, gpsucks, and butyoudontlooksick. You'll discover many different stories, many different struggles, many different inspirations, and experience the comraderie that goes on. 

Social media has its place. You can learn so much from those around you who are going through similar experiences as yourself. Reach out to those around you, bond, learn, and help educate as many as you can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment