Thursday, July 16, 2015

Gastric Emptying Studies, Endoscopies, Bloodwork, and Medicines...Ohmy!


Today was an exceedingly LONG day seeing the new Gastroenterologist (and the resident) today all in the hopes of, or the end game of, getting started on Domperidone again. 

Yeah, about that...

I first spoke with the resident for about fifteen minutes giving her the lowdown on Life with Gastroparesis. How do you condense 5 1/2 years of UGH into a short visit? It's hard to do! She looked me over and then went and got Dr. Lim. 


When he came in we kind of, even MORE briefly, went over my history and what I've been experiencing on a day-to-day basis...nausea...lack of appetite...vomiting...constipation...pain...He then examined me and said that, before even getting CLOSE to Domperidoen, the FDA stipulates that I have to have, not only a Gastric Emptying Study (GES), but an Endoscopy as well. 

RAWR!!

He mentioned that, since I've had the Botox therapy in the past (once, five years ago), there have been cases of people having scarring from it and causing the stomach (in assuming maybe the pylorus, but maybe I'm wrong) to close up, so then it'll need to be stretched. That may be a possibility with me. I'm sure it's also to check to make sure there aren't any ulcers or other things going on. 

The GES is a GES...I hate doing them because you have to eat so much food and lay around with a GIGANTIC bellyache. 

Dr. Lim also had me do bloodwork to check for diabetes, as Gastroparesis is commonly thought a diabetic issue. He also checked for any thyroid problems. He wants to rule out anything that might be causing my gastroparesis and constipation/IBS and treat that as opposed to just putting me on Domperidone right away. 

I appreciate his thoroughness and his kindness. I'm just done with doctors and told the resident as much. It's nothing against them specifically, it's just the situation as a whole. When you go to the doctor almost as much as you go anywhere else and then you feel like you get little to no answers, little to no help, grief for asking questions, you just don't want to see any more scrubs or white coats. 

I'm hoping for some answers from this, particularly since I have to do an Emdoscopy...again. I hate those things. 



No comments:

Post a Comment