Monday, February 23, 2015

The Future...Don't Fret About It!


Many people that struggle with Chronic Illnesses often worry about the future. They often wonder who will be left to care for them should their condition deteriorate. If they currently live with their parents, as I do, they worry where they will end up should their parents pass away. Or those who are married wonder if their marriage should come to an end due to tragedy or divorce (heaven forbid either one!) where would they go and who would take care for them? Or, those living on their own wonder, if their condition should take a turn for the worse, and there's no family to turn to, where would they go? All of these scenarios are valid, mind blowing, thought provoking things to think about. 

As it is, a person living with a chronic illness already feels like they are a burden to those around them. We feel as though our illness, that is already robbing us of a life, is also robbing our caregiver(s) of a life, too, which is an extra added weight to what we already carry. We often need rides to appointments, help around the house, and help with self-care; help remembering medications, bills, need comfort, and support, all a big task for one or two people to take on. 

I, of course, being the rebel that I am, chose not to worry, at all.



I cannot change my health condition any more than I can change the fact that, one day, my parents are going to pass away. I don't want or plan on that being any time soon, but if I worry over that now, it's A) going to get me nowhere and B) going to give me an ulcer that I REALLY don't need. But I know that I will see my parents again in heaven and I think that gives me solace in that area. I have a brother, several aunts, uncles, cousins, and many friends and though I wouldn't like to burden them with the Caregiver Life, I feel like I could call on them should the need arise. 

I really doubt any Chronic Illness Warrior out there would be left to their own devices by their loved ones. We have to set aside our pride and our worry of feeling like a burden and ask for help when we need it. We have to be willing to open up to those around us and stop saying "I'm ok", when we know, deep inside we are not. We need to stop WORRYING about the future and start making a PLAN for the future. Speak with those you trust and think would be willing to be your next available caregivers. Explain what it all entails. Guide them through your life and see what happens. Maybe then the future won't seem so scary. 



Hopefully my fellow Chronic Illness Warriors will come to find peace in this area of their sickness. Each phase, each area takes all of us time to work through and we all work through it differently and we all come to our own conclusions. This just happens to be mine. Though I haven't outright had a discussion with anyone, I know in my heart of hearts that my family or friends would step in and care for me. It's daunting, I know, but it just takes a little faith. 



No comments:

Post a Comment