Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Domperidone Journey


The journey to even be ACCEPTED to take Domperidone is a daunting one. You must first consult with a GI that can prescribe it, then have a Gastric Emptying Test, an upper GI, blood work, and an EKG. If everything checks out, THEN you can start Domperidone.

For my particular health care facility, you can only get it at ONE pharmacy and they're open at very specific hours, so it made getting it really hard. But, on the positive, at least I don't have to go to an outside pharmacy! (Yay!)

I started taking Domperidone a week ago,  four doses a day (one tablet 30 minutes before each meal and one at bedtime) and within a day or so I was getting pretty bad headaches by the second dose of the day. By the third day, I noticed I was feeling even LESS hungry than I already feel normally and, to make matters worse, I was starting to feel constipated despite taking Linzess daily. 

Often times I think people expect miracles from medication in a short period of time, so I pushed on feeling the way I did. Over the weekend, however, I was like a zombie and that was it for me. I emailed my doctor about how I was feeling and he suggested discontinuing Domperidone to see if there is any change in symptoms. If so, then I cannot continue with that treatment [insert sad face]. 

Gastroparesis is an ugly, confusing, difficult disease that nobody knows much about. I keep my head up and keep marching on and doing my best because I have to. I encourage everyone out there with it to do the same. Just because my Domperidone journey seems to be a rocky one doesn't mean that yours will be too, try it if you qualify. It never hurts. 





5 comments:

  1. I've been having stomach issues for 3 months now - early satiety, nausea, bloating, the works. I know it is gatroparesis. I'm a 30 year old male. Unfortunately the testing says otherwise. My endoscopy was fine (doc says he could see my stomach contract, and I even ate half a bagel 5 hours prior to the exam and there was no food residue). On top of that, 2 months into my GP symptoms, I somehow passed the gastric emptying test (had eggs)! At 1 hour I emptied 48%, 2 hours emptied 66% and at 4 hours emptied 99%.

    Given these results, the doc is excluding GP though I know it is whats causing my discomfort. I'm pretty desperate for some relief so I tried asking for Domperidone. I won't take Reglan cause the side effects long term just aren't worth it to me. But my doc says he won't give me Domperidone w/out a positive GP diagnosis! Should I beg him to continually give me gastric emptying tests until I fail?? I need something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you asked about the possibility of trying something like Linzess for constipation? Domperidone did not work for me and does not work for everyone...or look into possible other culprits? Not trying to diminish your symptoms...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have IBS and gastroparesis along with gerd and a hiatal hernia. Ibs comes with a lot of the same symptoms as gastroperesis and in my opinion sometimes its worse. I would get checked for IBS and gerd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also suffer from IBS-M and am being treated for that. I have had a gastric emptying test numerous times that confirms the Gastroparesis diagnosis. My entire gastric system is messed up.

      Delete
  4. I suffer from IBS-M and am being treated for it. I've suffered from IBS longer than Gastroparesis, but it went into remission for a while. My Gastroparesis, however, has been quite relentless for the last six years. The IBS flared up with my GP.
    -DiaryofAGastroparesisWarrior

    ReplyDelete